Thursday, October 15, 2015

Six Weeks Old

Linky is six weeks old today!  This is when some Moms return to work after having a baby.  I went back four weeks ago - boohoo!  I am insanely blessed, though, that that was my choice and I can take as much time as I need.  In some ways this six weeks has actually blown by quickly - you know the saying, "The days are long, but the weeks are short."  That definitely applies here.

We're getting all kinds of reviews on Lincoln's new vent.  First we were told we'd be going to the conventional vent, then told maybe we'd go straight to the CPAP.  Then I was told we'd be going to the CPAP, and yet when I arrived a couple of days ago, they were talking conventional vent again.  Two nights ago, he was finally switched over to the conventional vent.  I don't like it for several reasons: 1. I don't understand it.  I knew what the settings and things were on the Jet.  I thought I would recognize this vent from when Addie & Charlie were on it, but it turns out to be a NEW conventional vent. 2. It says right on it, right at the top "Life Support Device."  I don't want to be reminded like that that if we turn it off, my child could die.  Let's put that in the fine print.  3. It alarms ALL THE TIME.  And because it's new, the nurses don't totally understand what to do (though they're learning quickly).  Now I need to learn.

But then, I spoke with Dr. Eche today and he said Lincoln isn't doing that well on the new vent.  So he'll be changing him to ANOTHER different vent.  I said, "Good, I don't understand this one anyway.  I won't waste my time trying to learn about it."  But THEN, David went up after me today, and said now Link is doing WELL on this vent and he will likely stay on it.  *sigh*  WHAT?

He's growing well - 2lbs, 10oz today, which is one full pound bigger than what he was when he was born. I got to hold him again, I think I'm up to 8 times now.  I sang to him nearly the entire hour I held him - I made up a ton of songs when the girls were all little and I tried singing some to him, but they all rhymed with "girl" and ended with "world."  "Boy" doesn't rhyme with "world," so a lot of my songs ended with "Oy."  He may be getting some nice Long Island Jewish feels.

Oh, and RSV season is officially here (which I know, because my friend's daughter is in the same hospital as us WITH RSV, poor baby!), so no more visits allowed for big sis.  The twins keep saying they can't wait to be four to be able to go see Lincoln.  That doesn't work for two reasons - 1.  We plan to have him home before they turn 4, and 2. RSV season doesn't end until April at least!


No comments: