Friday, October 9, 2015

29 Weeks (Adjusted)

Lincoln will be referred to by an Adjusted Age until Christmas day of 2017.  Preemies have a real age and an adjusted age.  Link's adjusted age right now is 29 weeks gestational.  We would have been thrilled to have made it this far in the pregnancy.

I was happy when I got to the hospital and saw that our Kelly was in our pod.  She wasn't on with Lincoln, but I knew she'd help get him out so I could hold him.  I, maybe not even politely, let our nurse Michelle know I wanted to hold him today.  I'm just not in a great emotional place, and I super needed to hold my son.  Michelle talked to Kelly and agreed to let me hold him.  I held him for about an hour and forty-five minutes.  Mommy needed that.

During rounds, Dr. Eche was pleased to see the kangaroo care.  When rounds were over, he said, "I'm happy for the TLC for baby AND mommy."  Lincoln is at 16cc feeds, going up one cc (mL) every 12 hours until he hits 20, I think.  15cc's is half an ounce.  He's being D/C'ed (discontinued?) on his TPN at 5 PM.  He will receive sodium twice a day to keep his levels up, but other than that, now that he's on full feeds he does not need IV fluids.  His vent settings are up to 420 and 29/11.  He went up 5g today to 1090g - that makes him 2 lbs, 6 oz.

I didn't go to work today after originally planning to, because I am not just feeling like I can handle it right now.  This is a lot to go through.  My mind is always in a million places.  Today was too much for me, so instead I headed to the hospital.  I knew this would be hard.  I didn't expect that even when Lincoln is doing well, which he is right now, I can still have a hard time.  Typically, how Lincoln is doing directly affects how I feel.  Today I feel a little out of control.

No comments: