Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Vent Steps 10/29/2015

Lincoln is back 1485g. That didn't take long at all. That's 3 lbs, 4.5 oz.  Today Dr. Mintzer has switched Link's vent from its original settings to one where in between the normal breaths it gives him, it will support him breathing some on his own. It will not tell the nurses and doctors if he will do well off the vent, but it will tell them if he won't do well. They will then spread the breaths that the machine gives out little by little so Link is more independent.

I'm struggling to stay upbeat and positive the last couple of days. I've been good telling myself that it's temporary and that our baby is going to survive. But the drivin,g and the hours, and the waiting, and the upswings and downswings, etc. are starting to wear on me. I'm ready for him to be home, so that at least the sitting and waiting and pumping and cuddling are done with the whole family. Right now it feels like such limited family time. I'm trying to keep my positive face on, though. 

I do remind myself of how blessed we are, though. A former colleague of mine just had grand twins at 24 weeks. One did not survive at all, the other died this morning. My baby is going to live and I will be forever grateful for that. I don't know why my baby gets to survive and someone else's doesn't, but I am so in love at this point, I couldn't be more thankful.

1 comment:

CMC said...

I don't know why either, but it is a blessing and all you can do is be grateful (as you are) and move forward and spread goodness along the way. I'm proud of you for doing all you are doing and keeping this in perspective at the same time. Very selfless. My prayers go with those families too, because the loss they must feel is tremendous and will be with them forever. This happened to a co-worker, and I feel for her because it was her first/only child. Some see it as "just a miscarriage" and think it's easy to get past or that it will happen in due time. I think it takes longer than most realize. And with the energy you have put into this you can see this better than anyone.

I know I probably cannot even FATHOM the stress you are under balancing your visits with him and taking care of the rest of the family (thank goodness you have a great husband and family). If it were me, I would be very whiny and needy! You probably don't have much time to even feel that way. Great job, and I know the girls are being strong while you go through this. You have given them a great start, so they are well equipped.

On a lighter note, Lincoln looks great, and so cute with his baby bum up in the air in this picture.