Friday, May 2, 2008

Why risk it?

So, I'm at a loss with all the "good plastic, bad plastic" debates, but I've decided to boycott the bad plastics. For example, Gerber baby food comes in plastic #7, which Canada is considering banning. If an entire country is going to ban something for health reasons, then why are we using it to store baby food in? The problem is that those little plastic containers that Gerber uses are so darn convenient!!! But, I'm recycling them all, and I'll find another means of storing the food I make for her. Since I make most of the food she eats, it wasn't that big of a deal to me; but the problem is that they say that heating up #7 allows the chemicals to leach out faster, and when I defrost the food I make for her - duh! - that's what I'm doing! Now Gerber has other plastic products that are a #5, considered safe. I'll continue to use those, but as far as buying baby food, I'm sticking to glass or "safe plastics."

Dr. Brown's bottles follow this same principle. Some folks are not bothered by this, so I'm going to sell my bottles. I have several different brands/types of bottles and sippies, and I'm just going to go through them and keep what is "safe," and recycle what is not.

I like to think I'm doing my part for the environment, too. I cloth diaper now (5 more in the mail!), compost, and recycle. My husband says that's why I'm landscaping, but let's be honest, I want a prettier outside of my house! I know some of you are looking at me like I'm crazy or losing my mind, but the way I see it, why not? Its not hurting my family or hurting anyone else (except the products I boycott), and if anything it's helping, right?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yeah, I heard about the bad number 7 too and Gerber sure does it make it hard to resist! I do STORE Griffin's finger foods in those but I don't heat them up anymore. I defrost in a custard cup. Just the right size. You do have to wonder how as such a civilized country we let these things slide... I must admit, I am more trusting that I should be!