Tuesday, April 10, 2012

30 Days

Addie - 4lbs, 10.5oz
Charlie - 4lbs, 2oz

Today we hit the 30-day mark. It has gone way too slowly, and yet so darn fast! Came to the hospital too early for a feed today so I can just cuddle. I keep coming up for feeds and then racing home to try to visit, spend time with Elle, or get things done, and I haven't taken the time to cuddle my girls. Off for now to scoop up my Addie-girl for some baby-sniffing cuddles.

Okay, rounds have been done. I got 45 minutes of cuddling with Add. Summary of rounds:

Feeds going well, girls gaining well. Addie's numbers look good, but yesterday she had her 30-day head sonogram. There appears to be a bit of a bleed on her brain, a level 1. This could delay her development a bit, but it could also be a misread. A follow-up next week. (I am freaking out, of course.) Charlie is also growing well, but she's a bit anemic, her crits are low but retics are good. There is potential for a blood transfusion, but we'll know more after they redo their blood tests tomorrow. From what I understand, the low crits mean she's not making enough red blood cells, but the retic level means she has the potential to, hence the restest. Both girls are being weaned off their caffeine, hopefully that means not too many A's and B's.

We also chatted about feeding. Apparently, I've made the impression that no one is to come near my children with a bottle. Over the last three days, at least four people have very tenderly discussed adding bottles to our routine. All four times I've agreed. Here's my deal, I want my girls to breastfeed. Most importantly, I want them on breastmilk. If Daddy can give a middle of the night bottle while I nurse the other baby, that's fine. I don't want my girls on bottles for every feed. I want the bonding experience and the nutritional benefits and the health benefits (for the girls and for myself) that direct nursing brings. I also don't want to come to the hospital at 2am and 5am for feeds. Give them bottles, but support my decision to breastfeed, too, please.

Also, every 3 hours, nurse Tina is lowering their isolette temperatures by a half degree celcius. The hope is that by their last feed with her tonight (5PM), they will be moved into an open crib. They are being swaddled to help them maintain their body temperatures. By easing the temp down, the girls' bodies are hopefully adjusting, too. Their beds now are no longer tilted to help them with reflux, because the crib will not tilt.

The girls are looking bigger today, Addie seemed huge during our cuddles. Mommy is trying to not let the exhaustion and news during rounds send her over the proverbial edge. Verge of tears here, but one of the nurse practitioners tells me that that comes with the 30-day mark and I am right on track.

No comments: