Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another Day in the NICU

Addie gained 61g last night to bring her up to about 3 lbs, 11 oz. Her birthweight was 3 lbs, 6 oz, so that's great progress! Charlie gained 2g since yesterday, which is actually good news, because yesterday she pulled out her feeding tube and lost at least 1/3 of a feeding. I was worried she would drop weight (taking her below her birthweight), and was hoping she'd at least maintain her birthweight.

Addie is off her cannula, making her the first of our twins and the twins across the hall - Ethan and Tyler, who were born at 28 weeks and were due May 19. The girls' doctor (Dr. Courtney) was applauding Addie being first :) Then, since Charlie was on only 1L of pressure with her cannula, they decided to take her off of it, too. She did well for quite awhile, a Brady or low heart rhythm here and there, but tonight has been put back on. Likely the A's and B's are results of very congested noses, which are the result of using the cannulas. Definitely a vicious circle.

My favorite most bestest news of the day is that Charlie was a ROCKSTAR at nursing! I let Addie try this morning, and like her Daddy Dave, she wanted to sleep and was willing to pass up yummy food for a few extra minutes of shut-eye. This afternoon, Charlie got another shot at it (each of them have tried once a day for three days now), and she took to it like nothing else. That girl was in Mommy-milk heaven! In fact, I had to peel her off and she was NOT pleased! I kangaroo-ed with her after that, and she spent most of the time rooting around and licking me, trying to find her way back to the liquid gold! So proud of my miniscule milk-lover!

Mommy (that's me!) is feeling some good old-fashioned Mom-guilt over not going back to the hospital tonight. I was there twice today, though, and frankly, Dave and I are EXHAUSTED. While, yes, we are sleeping through the nights now while the twins are the hospital (and can I just say I LOVE sleeping on my stomach again?!), we are also spending lots of our free time at the hospital, going to bed later than normal (mostly me - mostly due to pumping), and getting up at our regular going-t0-work times. I did call the NICU, though, and their nurse tonight, Amy, assured me that they are doing great and that I should sleep while I can still get sleep.

No comments: